Welcome to Standon Parish Council Staffordshire

  • homepage-slider1
  • 4iCA0jSRtEUr_Jc3pLrCOHQm4i_v6mwBdPvBeWreC-6v8TcS_-Ga4WBCKE0dHqTCTCr2MbQ7s9jIRfP9sTa-fYuuDE74SZfpcBBQ4eKaIrCzUuBmKV7zosC7KzPU8m1kjPz61INKHZQ
  • mill3
  • hall
  • sboc2
  • standonchurch3
  • hatton-2
  • coteschurch3
  • meecepump
  • villagehall4

Standon Parish Staffordshire includes the hamlets of Standon, Cotes Heath, Cranberry, Walford, Weston, Mill Meece, Bowers and Bowers Bent in Staffordshire. These beautiful hamlets lie to the west of the A519 Newcastle to Newport Road, approximately 5 miles from Eccleshall.

Standon boasts the Norman church of All saints, which can be found at the heart of the village at the crossroads opposite the much loved All Saints First School. The village sits among plentiful and beautiful farmland, which has been farmed for centuries.

Cotes Heath adjoins Standon and has the delightful St James church which stands on the corner of the A519 and Station Road. Cotes Heath was formerly known as Moorfield Green and was the location of the old school, which is now the site of the village hall an important community landmark for all the surrounding hamlets it serves. Standon School was originally built in 1866 as a memorial to the Reverend Joseph Salt but was rebuilt in 1879.

For a small hamlet Standon has a wonderful reputation for being the home of Standon Bowers Education Centre, which was built as a Church of England Farm Home for boys in 1885. Its original purpose was to train orphan boys in the skills of farmwork before they were sent to the colonies.

Later in 1932, Standon Hospital, which was originally a private house, was opened for TB patients and then a private nursing home, which closed in 2016.

In 1912, Mill Meece Pumping Station was built by Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company to supplement the water supply to the Potteries. The waterworks provided work for local men and is still in operation although mechanisation has reduced the number of jobs. The original horizontal steam engine and its building are now looked after by a Preservation Society.

History, intrigue and activity are in plentiful supply within these much-loved hamlets. We hope you enjoy exploring them.